Pages

Monday, 16 October 2017

Accessing Water

Purpose:
To Purify Water

Research:
Cole & I researched Homemade Water Filters and we found this photo which we used as inspiration.


Image result for homemade water filter with sand and charcoal
Credit To buzzle.com for the photo 

Aim:
To make a Homemade Water Filter.


Equipment:

Plastic Bottle
Filter Paper
Rubber Band
Fine Sand
Charcoal
Coarse Sand

Rocks
Scissors

Method:


1. Cut a plastic bottle in half
2. Tie the filter paper with a rubber band on top of the plastic bottle
3. Put the top of the bottle upside down in the bottom half of the bottle
4. Put some fine sand in the top half of the bottle
5. Then add the charcoal
6. Then some coarse sand
7. Then add some rocks and hopefully it should have reached the top of the bottle

To test if it has worked pour water through and it should have purified it.

Prediction:
I think this water filter will work because it looks quite promising.


Results:
The water filter worked quite good but I didn't clean the bottle properly. The water first looked muddy and disgusting. Once I put it through again the water was much clearer but it looked murky.



























Disscusion:
What Happened: The Rocks collected the big stuff. The sand collected the dirt and the Filter paper collected the fine bits of dirt.

Why did it happen: Because I chose to do it.

How did it happen: I poured the water in and it went through all the different layers.

My research proof: 
Image result for homemade water filter with sand and charcoal
Credit To buzzle.com for the photo 



















Evaluation:

What could I do to improve my experiment: Clean my bottle properly and boil the water.

What different experiment could I do next time that is related to what I did: Make a longer charcoal filter.

To make a charcoal water filter you put charcoal in a leaf and roll it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Something helpful - add more info or ask me a question.
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.